Saturday, February 7, 2015

Low-Carb Vegetable Pasta

I've been researching the alternatives for grain pasta for a few weeks now. I tried the shiratake (miracle) noodles and enjoyed them. Then I heard about Zoodles and thought I'd try them too. Simply put, Zoodles are Zucchini Noodles. 

They might be the easiest, quickest pasta I've ever had. After you buy the spiralizer to make them. I bought a Spirooli at Bed, Bath & Beyond (gotta love the 20% coupons!) and immediately went to work.



I will say, the directions in that box were awful, so it was trial and error for me as to which blade cut which way, but I figured it out. I'd also highly recommend this spiralizer. There are many others, like the vegetti that is manual, but the Spirooli is super easy to use! Even my kids helped me! 



As you can see in the photos, you just place a zucchini (peeled or not) into this thingy that spins it around and makes it into noodles. It took like 3 seconds. Falls right on to the plate! 

While you're spiralizing, boil some water. When the water comes to a boil, add the zucchini for 30-60 seconds. The 30-60 seconds is just enough time to get the zucchini warmed, but not soft or mushy! Take it out quickly and place back on the plate. 

At this time, you can top it with whatever you want to, like pasta sauce, pesto, ground beef, whatever! I had mine with pasta sauce. I literally threw my meal together in less than 5 minutes because it was unplanned. Next time, I'll take the time to cook some mushrooms and put them in a sauce with some ground beef. Now that sounds good! 


Since I already had the Spirooli out, I also spiralized an Jicama! Jicama is a root ️fruit and tough, so it was a little more difficult (more man power to crank the knob!) but it still came out great! I used a different blade for it too, just to try it out. 



It was fun to experiment with my newest kitchen gadget! It's always fun to experiment with new (or old) foods and make new creations! Hope you'll take the time to experiment too. Sometimes an experiment in the kitchen is the only experiment we get to do as busy working moms! I know that all too well! 

Happy Spirooling!
Gigi




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! It's your comments that keep me blogging along!