Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Homemade Halloween - dollar pumpkins redesigned


This foam pumpkin can be purchased at the Dollar Store for $1. It can be decorated for another dollar. The Dollar Store is loaded with crafts for decorating or you can use what you already have at home. 

I bought some Halloween ribbon and self adhesive foam Halloween pieces to decorate my first pumpkin. These are both available at the Dollar Store. 


The black ribbon is see through with glitter. When I unwrapped it, I wasn't pleased that you could see the orange pumpkin through it, but I am pleased with the end result. Then I put a few foam spiders on the top to make it a little spooky. The ribbon was stapled on (for my convenience) and the spiders at the top hide the staples. 

My second pumpkin was spray painted with chalkboard spray paint. I drew spiders and spider webs on it with white and colored chalk. 


While I haven't completed anymore pumpkins, I have some great ideas for the next batch. 1. Glow in the dark spray paint! I saw this for less than $10 at Home Depot. Those pumpkins would be great to line your walk as trick or treaters came to your door. 2. Duct tape! There are so many new designs of duct tape these days that you could really make a pumpkin covered in duct tape for any occasion. 3. Burlap! As I was told by a shop owner in New Market, VA, "burlap is the new silk." Plus, burlap can be dyed to any color you desire. 

These crafts were done with my 5 year old who enjoyed spending time with me, wearing a smock, and doing a craft. The pumpkins are foam so it's easy to put a hole in them or tear off the stem, so handle with care. Thank you to *A Cultivated Nest* for your blog on "15 Dollar Store Pumpkin Crafts" that gave me the inspiration to create my own pumpkins. 

You can easily make your own pumpkin too! You can redesign an original or carve out the foam for a scary face! Be creative and enjoy! 

Gigi  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! It's your comments that keep me blogging along!