Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Baked Jicama Fries

In college, I ate a salad at Chilis. There was an ingredient in my salad that I haven't had or even heard of before. That's when I was first introduced to Jicama. Yummy, rooted Jicama. A hybrid in between a potato and an apple, but with looks of a turnip. Who'd of thought it would be so delicious! Because it surely is!! Mmmmmmmm mmmm good! 

So tonight, I am baking Experiment #3: Baked Jicama Fries. 

Ingredients:
1 whole jicama
2 tbsp coconut oil
Old Bay seasoning 

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Peel jicama. Jicama is a rooted fruit (?) with thick skin. You're gonna have to peel this baby twice to get a normal texture. 
3. Slice longways. I recommend slicing into thick slices; they taste better when cooked. 
4. In a bowl, add coconut oil and Old Bay seasoning. You'll have to melt the oil for a min first. 
5. Add jicama to bowl. Toss all ingredients around, coating the jicama in flavored oil. 


6. Arrange jicama slices on a cookie sheet. 


7. Bake for 15 mins, flip, and bake for another 10 mins. 
8. You'll know your jicama fries are ready to eat when the edges have browned and they smell like coconut! 


Jicama isn't a really sweet fruit. It tastes like a dry Apple to me. The coconut oil gives it a slightly sweeter taste and the Old Bay seasoning just balances the flavor. It's a pretty perfect combination. 

Another experiment down, with success! 

Cooking instead of Cleaning!
Gigi

1 comment:

Thanks for the feedback! It's your comments that keep me blogging along!