Thursday, January 1, 2015

It's a Camp Out!

Owen's Camp: a DIY camping party

Since we love camping as a family, I decided that this year was the year to host a camping party for my sons 2nd birthday! Since his birthday is on New Years Eve and his party is in the winter, I had to adapt a lot of outdoor fun to the indoors. But we did! Check it out!! 

Invitation

I created an invitation using Vistaprint. I use Vistaprint for all my invitations. I think they have a large variety to pick out anything and the addition of a picture(s) doesn't cost you. 

Camping Signs

I used cardboard, fallen twigs, construction paper, and a thick Sharpie marker to make these signs. They were simple, and free. And I think they came out super cute!

I used a cable tie to secure the signs to the sticks, but you can also use masking or packing tape. 

Table Centerpieces

I thought marshmallows should be a focal point of the lunch table. So I used a flower vase, more twigs, rocks, and several marshmallows to make a cute centerpiece. I used what we had at home for this item also, making it another free project! 

I then made a fire pit candy dish. I used a square vase, twigs, yellow and red tissue paper, a (luau) lei that my daughter just happened to rip earlier in the day and a small candy dish. I stuck the twigs in the square vase and balled up some tissue paper and cut up pieces from the lei to stick inside too. I then sat the circular small candy dish on the twigs and put more tissue paper and lei pieces around it. It gives the effect that the candy dish is sitting over the fire. I was going to use this as a candy dish, but last minute, I covered the top with cardboard and put condiments on it. It served a better purpose for the party this way! 

I also wrote, in twigs, "Owen's Camp" on a piece of construction paper that I taped onto the vase. 

Goody Bags

Kids expect treats when they leave parties so of course I put together some goody bags with camping "stuff" in it! Check out my finds, thanks to Oriental Trading. 

Are those rubber duckies not the most adorable things?! Oriental Trading has ducks for ALL occasions! I tend to buy a different duck for every party! And the compass is also a flashlight and whistle. I threw in some candy too- lollipops, individual candies, and candy bracelets. 
So now that the party is planned, let's check out the menu!! I wanted the table to be like a huge grill, so I bought metal disposable baking pans to put all the food in. I also made labels for the food. I recycled soup cans to hold the eating utensils and bought camping plates from Oriental Trading. 

Serving Up... 

✔️Chargrilled (hot) dogs

✔️Campfire beans 

✔️Make your own Happy Trails Mix, which consisted of: mini marshmallows, flames (aka Cheetos), M&M's, peanuts, matches (aka pretzel sticks), craisins, and Teddy Grahams. I put out individual baggies so the kids (and adults) could make their own mixes to snack on during the party or for their "hike" home. 

✔️Creamed corn

✔️Hearty greens

✔️Grilled veg

✔️Fruit kabobs 

And for dessert...

✔️Homemade camping cake by my incredibly talented, and patient husband!! 

✔️S'more pops

Now let's check out how the party pulled together! 

"The Campsite"

Story time occurred inside the tent. Here are our fav camping books!

The inflatable fire was a nice faux touch from Oriental Trading. Next to the tent is a "bush" with a parrot in it and a snail in the "dirt." The table is dressed with a red table cloth and set up for a bunch of kids. This table gets its own centerpiece- a fire pit made of 3 paper towel rolls and red, orange, and yellow tissue paper! 

"The Grill"

And table decor

And the S'more pops! 

Check out my hubby's amazing cake! He worked really hard on this and made homemade marshmallow fondant and homemade buttercream icing! A+ for my man!!

Now that the party's over, don't forget the Goody Bags! 

Everything was a hit! House is a mess and that means the kids had fun! The birthday boy and his sis were exhausted after the long day and went right to bed! Parties are fun, even if it's a mommys job to clean it all up!! 

🎉 Always up for a party!!
Gigi 

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! It's your comments that keep me blogging along!