Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Green Chips

As I rummage through my fridge, I see that I have an almost full head of mustard greens still left from a previous dish. Well greens won't last forever, so I decided to make something with them. I decided to try a take on kale chips and make mustard green chips! Hmmm.... Talk about an experiment. 

As I wash and prepare the greens, I find myself humming along to Umi Zoomi as my kids are out of my hair and watching tv. Guess I can't argue it though; the kids ARE out of my hair allowing me to cook in peace. That alone is a personal feat! Come on, you know you agree! 

Okay. Back to my recipe. 

Ingredients
- head of mustard greens
- 5 tsp chopped garlic
- 3 tsp olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- Parmesan cheese 

Instructions
- preheat oven to 375 degrees
- devain the mustard greens. Maybe this isn't the right terminology because what I'm tying to say is, tear the leaves off the stem and break into smaller pieces. 
- wash and dry the greens really well. I placed the greens in between two paper towels to dry. I squeezed out all the excess water. 
- in a bowl, mix the olive oil, chopped garlic, and salt
- add the mustard greens and toss


- place greens on a cookie sheet


- cook for 8 minutes
- take out of oven, re-toss and re-arrange on cookie sheet, and bake for another 8 minutes. You will notice that the greens have shrunk in size. 
- when they're done cooing, sprinkle some Parmesan on top and enjoy! 


Tips
- when the mustard greens are cooking they are going to smell pungent. This is normal, but it's definitely an acquired smell! 
- sprinkle some other spices in the bowl while mixing to add a different flavor. Maybe even try some sirachi or hot sauce! 
- the chips are best when eaten hot
- to store, place in an airtight container for the next day 


These make for a yummy and healthy snack! What do you enjoy for your snack time foods? 

Gigi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! It's your comments that keep me blogging along!