Monday, March 2, 2015

Low-Carb Sugar Cookies


My search for a yummy low-carb cookie continues... Until now! After days of perfecting this recipe (and I mean adding new ingredients, baking again and again, and doing this over and over for several days) I finally made a soft, tasty, and moist LOW-CARB sugar cookie! And when I say I made "a" cookie, I mean, I made like 90 cookies... The recipe kept growing hence the plethora of cookies! ;) 

Ingredients 
- 2 cups of almond flour
- 3/4 cups of coconut flour
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 2 1/2 sticks of softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered Splenda 
- 3 eggs 
- 1/4 cup of peanut oil
- 1 tsp of coconut extract 


Instructions
- preheat oven to 375 degrees
- pour flours, baking soda and baking powder into a bowl and mix
- in another bowl, add butter and sugar and mix with hand blender
- in the wet ingredients bowl (butter and sugar bowl), add eggs, oil, and coconut extract and continuing mixing together
- gradually mix the dry ingredients (flours, baking soda and baking powder) in with the wet ingredients 


- when ready, make small balls out of dough and place on cookie sheet for baking
- bake for 10 minutes, one sheet at a time 
- let cool for a min and enjoy!!


A few notes...
- I know you're asking why I mixed my flours and I want to explain that to you. If you read the bag of coconut flour, you'll read that you should only substitute coconut flour for 20% of the real thing. Because I was altering a regular sugar cookie recipe by subbing flour for almond and/or coconut flour and sugar for Splenda, and because I had intended to use only coconut flour prior to actually reading the bag, I had to quickly make an adjustment to add almond flour too. 
Almond flour can be subbed 100% for regular flour. 
- The almond flour I used was pre-made by Bob's Red Mill. I have made almond flour previously, but it doesn't come out as fine, tastes differently and, to me, not as good as the pre-made.
- While I used peanut oil as my oil of choice, I'm sure you can use coconut or canola oil. I used peanut because it has the least amount of "taste," since I didn't want to alter the taste of the recipe, just the moistness of it. 
- I'm sure you can also use vanilla, banana, or whatever other extract you want to use instead of coconut. While the cookies do have a coconutty flavor, I don't think the coconut extract had a large contribution to that. I found an assortment of extracts made my J.R. Watkins at Walmart for less than $3 a piece! And when I say assortment, I mean assortment!
- I learned that if you want moist cookies, add oil. It truly does moisten the batter and the cookie after being baked. 
- Store the cookies in a sealed Tupperware container. They'll stay fresh and moist this way. 
- I think the most important thing to share is that my kids love these cookies, especially my son!! He sees them sitting on the counter and cries (yes, literally cries) for them. 
 

Carb Breakdown
168 carbs total in entire batter
/ 90 cookies = ~1.9 carbs per cookie

I am so happy to finally have perfected my cookie recipe! I am so happy to be able to nosh on these low-carb cookies while others enjoy their cookies. I don't have to feel left out of the cookie swaps either! Lol!! Hope you enjoy them as much as I do! 

Sweets,
Gigi 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! It's your comments that keep me blogging along!