Thursday, March 26, 2015

Egg Fast: My Personal Experience


Good Day to all! Thanks for stopping by to read my blog! I am super excited to be blogging on this topic because I think it will be well received by a TON of people! It's a quick, easy, and safe way to shed those extra pounds! And with summer right around the corner... what better time than NOW!

Well if you haven't heard of it, you should do your research. An Egg Fast is a popular Low-Carb fast to break a weight loss stall. From what I've read on blogs and Facebook groups, it appears to work for everyone, to some extent or another. And I am writing this blog entry to tell you about my personal, and very successful, EGG FAST!

To start you off, let me introduce you to Mellissa of the blog- I Breathe I'm Hungry (IBIH). She has a blog page dedicated to what an egg fast is and another page with her menu and recipes. I mainly followed her blog for my own 5 day Egg Fast. She's got some awesome recipes! You're going to love her!! Not only does she have egg fast recipes, but also other Low-Carb and Gluten-Free goodies. 

So, with the support of my fellow Low-Carbers, I started my Egg Fast on Monday morning, March 16. I created a group on Facebook- Low-Carb Egg Fast Support Group- for all the people who expressed interest and dedication to completing this fast for the next 5 days with me. We all came together on this Facebook group to provide support, share recipes, and encourage one another to "stick with it!" The group has turned out to be a fabulous compilation of hardworking and determined people who are really dedicated to eating and feeling better! 

Step 1:


Read the above links. Familiarize yourself with what an Egg Fast is, the safety and health concerns associated with it, and how it works. While some people follow it to the T, not everyone does and still, they find success. A brief recap of what you can eat on the Egg Fast is: eggs, fat (oil, butter, mayo), and protein (cheese). That's it. But with that being said, there are TONS of ways to use these 3 ingredients to make a killer egg meal!

Step 2:


Meal Planning. Before you can go shopping, you have to decide what you're going to eat. Take a look at Pinterest. There are SO many great recipes there! Here's my personal collection- Egg Fast Menu & Recipes. So, here's my five day menu, which isn't perfect, but it's my personal experience. And I've learned from it!

My 5 Day Menu


Day One

BREAKFAST

  1. one cup of coffee (k-cup, zero carb, any flavor), 3 tbsp of sweetener (Torani, Skinny Syrup, DaVinci brand), 1/8 cup of unsweetened almond milk
  2. "Muglette" 

SNACK

  1. 1 string cheese (equivalent to 1 oz of cheese or 1 deli slice of cheese)

LUNCH

  1. 1/2 cup of egg salad
  2. 1 oz sliced cheese 

SNACK

  1. 1 hard boiled egg

DINNER

  1. 1 buffalo omelette


Day Two

BREAKFAST

  1. coffee (see day one recipe)
  2. Low-Carb Pancakes

SNACK

  1. none

LUNCH

  1. 1/2 cup of egg salad
  2. 1 oz sliced cheese 

SNACK

  1. 2 deviled eggs (try using some yellow mustard in the yolk mixture)

DINNER


  1. 1 buffalo scrambled egg


Day Three


BREAKFAST

  1. coffee (see day one recipe)
  2. 3 hard boiled eggs
  3. 1 oz sliced cheese

SNACK

  1. none

LUNCH

  1. 1/2 cup of egg salad
  2. 1 oz sliced cheese 

SNACK

  1. 2 deviled eggs

DINNER

  1. snickerdoodle crepes. Now here I made a mistake! I didn't look at the serving size of the recipe and ate the whole thing! It was four servings! Oops! I didn't let it get me down though!


Day Four

BREAKFAST

  1. coffee (see day one recipe)
  2. buffalo scrambled eggs

SNACK

  1. 1 string cheese

LUNCH

  1. coconut egg custard

SNACK

  1. none

DINNER

  1. 1 snickerdoodle (my adapted recipe)
 

Day Five

BREAKFAST

  1. coffee (see day one recipe)
  2. 1 snickerdoodle

SNACK

  1. none

LUNCH

  1. 3 hard boiled eggs
  2. 3 real mayo packets
  3. 3 deli slices of swiss cheese

SNACK

  1. 1 string cheese

DINNER

  1. 1 snickerdoodle

Days Six and Seven were transition days. I ate one egg fast meal during those days. On both days, I had pancakes for breakfast and a Low-Carb meal for lunch and dinner. It's important to transition; this is necessary to avoid your body going into shock and gaining all your hard work weight back.

Weight Loss Breakdown:

I weighed myself every morning, after using the bathroom but before having breakfast. I weighed myself in the nude. I recorded my weight below based on the morning that I weighed myself, but the amount is based on the food eaten on the day before.

Day Two: loss of 1.5 lbs
Day Three: loss of 3 lbs
Day Four: loss of 1 lb
Day Five: no loss. If you look at my menu above, you will see that on Day Four, I ate a coconut egg custard and a snickerdoodle. I think that the addition of all that sweetener made me stall. When I cut it out on day Day Five, I lost weight on Day Six.
Day Six: loss of 2 lbs
Total Weight Loss: 7.5 lbs

Step 3:

Now that you have seen my menu and created your own menu, you need to compile a shopping list. Here's mine...


Seasonings are allowed on the Egg Fast, but some are higher in carbs than others so watch out for that. Also, don't forget to buy a block of cheese or deli slices if you prefer to eat this cheese rather than string cheese. I ate all for some variety.

Step 4:

Decide when you're going to start your Egg Fast. If you have your menu planned and refrigerator stocked, then you're ready to start! I suggest first finding a support group (Facebook has plenty. I created one called the Low-Carb Egg Fast Support Group. It's a private group that you have to ask to join, but please do!!) or find some friends to support you through the fast. Everything is easier to do with people that can relate, encourage, and support! Also, choose how many days you want to follow the Egg Fast. The time frame is a personal preference, but I've seen people follow 3-5-7 days or even more. Some people are so pleased with their results that they want to continue even longer than they anticipated. Feel it out first, and go from there. Initially I would commit to 5 days because it is an adjustment in your eating habits and appetite. For some reason, the Egg Fast menu seems to decrease appetites, but you have to remember to eat! And you have to eat at least 6 eggs per day.


Well... "The time has come, to talk of many things"... Don't you remember the story of the walrus and the carpenter from Alice in Wonderland's The Jabberwocky? Well, that's where that quote comes from. And it's how I'm wrapping up this blog post on my personal Egg Fast experience. I hope I've been helpful and that you will dare to try the Egg Fast too!! And plaaaaleassse let me know how it goes!!







Stop Hiding! It's time to start!

Good Luck!!! Break a L"egg"!!!

 


 Gigi

1 comment:

  1. Margaret v from Fitbit group.... GREAT JOB! Had no idea u we're a blogger! Lol. Awesome it worked. I've got a fridge full of food & not stalled right now do I'll be trying it soon I expect.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! It's your comments that keep me blogging along!